Wednesday 27 October 2010

Three Days To Go

I have gone seven days without running a single step. This is the longest stretch of time that I have not run since about February and is not the best preparation for my first marathon which is in three days time. Indeed, throughout this week the very idea of running 26.2 miles has has been put firmly to the back of my mind. This is because of the failure of one very important body part: my knee.

I have certainly been climbing the walls in the past week and am surprised how physically reliant I have become on running. My inactivity has given me headaches, sleepless nights, tiredness and more importantly, I have been feeling very down. I am prone to mood swings at the best of times but it has been close to off the charts these past seven days. I can feel my self getting fatter and less fit by the hour. I am almost at the ceiling.

In the fear of some sort of permanent maddness I decided that today was make or break time. I would run a hard four miles and see what happened. The result of this experiment would determine whether I would spend the weekend in bed or running around snowdon.

The results are in and they might actually be good. Apart from a few twinges during the run my knee held up well. It's a bit sore now but much better than it was last week. I don't want to get my hopes up but there is a small chance that I might be able to pull this thing off. I will do another four miles tomorrow at a slower pace. If I am relatively pain free after that then I will race on Saturday. If not, then bed it is.

More to follow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment